Sunday, April 3, 2016

The 35s: The Good, Bad, and the Ugly

I keep coming across firearms writers who love the 35s, and who try to make the case that there are a few 35s worth considering.  I also find it interesting that more often than not, the 35 Whelen figures prominently.

Bryce Towsley penned a piece in NRA American Rifleman several years ago, where he gives a synopsis of the 35s covering those which deserved to die ... and those which are under apprecieated.  As usual, the 35 Whelen figures large:
I own several rifles in this cartridge and all my .35 Whelen rifles are accurate. With the best loads, my Remington Model 700 is one-hole accurate. With a 200-grain bullet the .35 Whelen actually shoots a bit flatter than the .30-’06 Sprg. with a similar 180-grain bullet. The .35 Whelen is accurate, hits hard, penetrates deep, shoots flat and recoils mildly. Why the public abandoned it so quickly is a mystery to me.
Too read the whole piece visit American Rifleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment